Prioritize Gun Safety
Every year, guns lead to thousands of deaths and injuries among children and adults in Ohio. Too many Ohioans have died at the hand of gun violence in all forms, and it is far past time to address this public health and public safety issue with common-sense legislation. Allison believes that no parent should live in fear of losing their child to gun violence.
Allison’s stance is informed by her work in public health, her time as a military spouse, and her childhood in a culture of hunting. Allison believes that a respect for Second Amendment rights and reasonable public safety laws enacted to prevent gun violence are not mutually exclusive. Allison is proud to have been given the Moms Demand Action Gun Sense Candidate distinction, and as State Representative, she will advocate for the following common-sense gun violence prevention policies:
- Require criminal background checks on all gun sales, including unlicensed sales, and close existing loopholes to prevent gun purchases by all domestic abusers and criminals.
- Ensure that state law enforcement officials are alerted when criminals break the law and try to buy guns.
- Enact “red flag” laws that empower family members and law enforcement to petition a judge to temporarily block a person from having guns if they pose a danger to themselves or others.
- Raise the minimum age to 21 for the purchase of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.
- Prohibit the sale of bump stocks and high-capacity magazines.
- Prohibit the sale of the most dangerous military-style semi-automatic firearms.